Pages

Tortellini Soup {Recipe}

It is that time of year to start kicking it up a notch in the kitchen.  Here in Texas we are just starting to get some cool weather and then other days it's in the 80's.  Yeah, we like it like that.  :)

So I started looking through my recipes and came across one I discovered last year and it instantly became one of my favorites: Tortellini Soup. 




I found the original recipe at Allrecipes but I have tweaked it a bit and sometimes I choose to add Italian sausage to the soup.  I absolutely fell in love with this soup and it tickles me pink that my kids eat it up and I don't get any complaints from them.  Although sometimes the hubby will grunt when I choose to omit the Italian sausage.  I tell ya, that man has to have meat in every meal. 

So here goes the recipe!
Ingredients: (or as Teresa from RHONJ says, ingredienteses)
  • 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup onions, chopped
  • 1 cup carrots, chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped in quarters
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic,minced
  • ½ tsp dried basil
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp parsley
  • 5 cups beef stock or broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can Italian style diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 8 oz cheese tortellini
  • Parmesan cheese shavings
Directions:
-In a large stock pot, saute the onions in the olive oil for about 3-4 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute for another minute or two.

-Next add the beef stock/broth, water, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, basil and oregano.  Bring to a boil,  reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

-After 30 minutes add the zucchini, tortellini, green bell pepper and parsley.  Add salt and pepper to you liking. I add about three pinches of kosher salt and a pinch of pepper.

-Simmer for another 10 minutes or so and then your soup is done.

-I like to use my potato peeler to shave some Parmesan cheese once I serve each individual bowl. Serve with some delish garlic bread and you've got yourself one comfy hearty meal.





Oh believe me it is delish!  And I know you noticed my fancy smanchy garlic bread.  You see, by the time I was ready to sit down and have my bowl of soup; I discovered that all of the garlic bread had been eaten.  So Mom (that be me) had to toast a slice of bread, spread some butter and season it. Such is life.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments tickle me pink! Thank you for stopping by and browsing around these parts. :)

Snack Station {Halloween}

Hello, happy Friday and happy kickoff to Halloween weekend!  I know, I know I’m rarely on here but I finally got a light under my butt to p...