Skip to main content

Cookbook and Magazine Organization

Hey y'all.  Right now it's like fifty something degrees out and yes I am cold.  Insert hashtag #nativeTexan and #coldweatherweenie right here.  Yep, that is me.  So with the cold weather upon us I started looking through my cookbooks and magazines to find some new soups and stews.  This is when I realized that I really needed to hunker down and organize this growing collection of mine.  I hit up the Container Store and bought some bins and magazine files and now my all-things-cooking-and-baking resources look like this:



And before all of my books and magazines looked like this:


It wasn't too bad before but now that I am a Food Network Magazine subscriber, it was starting to pile up.  Also when I got married over twelve years ago I only had two cookbooks.  As you can see I now have more books that teach me how to keep things spicy and when to stir the pot.  Hehe.  

My books and mags are on a baker's rack that has wired-like shelves.  Does that make sense?  Therefore the books were kind of wompy wobby so I wanted something that would contain them securely and were easy access for me.  


For the books and booklets I used the multi-purpose bins from the Container Store.  Two extra large bins and one small bin.  Using these bins allowed me to maximize the entire space on the shelf.  All of the books fit perfectly in the larger bins and I can easily look and grab for a book.  The small, narrow bin in the middle stores various booklets.  Of course the fact that the bins are transparent helps too.

Okay that lady staring back at us is totally creepy.

For the bottom shelf I used two pink magazine files also from the Container Store.  I only need two for now so over time this bottom shelf will get another makeover.  


One has my FN mags and the other has random cooking and baking magazines.  The rest of the shelf has a couple of notebooks with recipes, a few reference books, a baker's decorating kit (to be used in a class one day) and a cookbook stand & storage.


Over time I know I will accumulate more books and magazines so this organization format will change.  I also need to get rid of a couple of books that have lost my interest; and that will free up some space (just to be used up again).  I have a cookbook wish list ya know.


Popular posts from this blog

Glass Vase Snowman Decor {Craft DIY}

Hello peeps!  Who is still stuffed from all of the Thanksgiving deliciousness?  Or broke from those fab after-Thanksgiving sales?  I don't do the whole crazy shopping thing but I am stuffed and happy.  I got to watch lots of t.v. and in my jammies.  Woot!  

On to my latest project, except I made this last year so I'm kinda lying.  I never got to share this with you guys because of lots of computer problems.  Anywho, I made a snowman using two floral vases.



I was inspired to make this snowman after I saw another blogger make with decor with round floral vases.  She used different glitter for each vase and then topped each one with a witch hat.  It was classy and cute.  And darn.  I wish I could remember that blogger and her site. 
Well here is how I got down to business when making this snowman.

Supplies:
2 - round floral vases 1 - sponge brush Mod Podge 1 - small jar of white glitter 2 - sheets black felt w/glitter scissors craft or felt glue 2 - lids from food canisters (like oatmeal) …

Organizing da Hair Accessories

Before my daughter was born it was just the hubby, our boy and me.  I only had me to worry about when it came to all things hair.  Then baby girl came along and little by little the hair accessories, combs, brushes and everything else started to pile up and take over my middle bathroom drawer.  Up until a couple of weeks ago my hair accessory drawer looked like this:


It was so bad and I couldn't stand it any longer.  Actually it had been quite some time that I could not stand but I finally got around to organizing it.  While still on holiday vacation in early January, the kids and I took a field trip to The Container Store.  One of my new favorite stores.  Love!

After browsing, browsing, browsing and more browsing I finally got down to business.  Mainly because the kids were getting restless otherwise I could have spent the whole day there and compiled a huge wish list.  I came home with some Linus drawer organizers and after a major make-over our hair accessories bathroom drawer lo…

Organized Linen Closet... Finally!

Hi peeps.  Are y’all done decorating for fall yet?  No? Oh wait that's just me.  My decor is going up little by little as the hubs grudgingly brings more Fall/Halloween totes down from the attic.  heehee.
I do however want to show off (‘cause that’s what happens in blog land) my now neat and tidy linencloset thanks to this pin on my Organization board from Better Homes & Gardens that helped me get'er done.  Ta-da!



It is a small closet in my short and narrow hallway so taking full length photos of the before and after was a challenge.  But believe me you this thing was way too crowded and stuffing clean towels into each shelf was just plain dumb.  There was too much going on in there especially with the ball caps and candles taking up valuable space on one shelf.  So just like my utensil drawerlarge utensil drawer, and junk drawer I got to work.  As I told you in my last post, I got the caps out of there and hung up in the coat closet. 
I then emptied out the entire closet a…