Skip to main content

Making Tamales with Grandma

Happy New Year, Y’all!  I am a bit late on this but I still want to share this post with you. 

Tamalada 2011 at Grandma's House.



A tradition in my family and many, many Mexican-American families is to make tamales during the Christmas season also called a tamalada.  Making tamales is one of my favorite past times with my grandmother and the rest of la familia.  Correction: helping my grandmother make tamales is one of my favorite past times.  No, I do not know how to make them by myself from start to finish.  I have been an assistant ever since I was a little girl.  My mother and grandmother taught me how to spread the masa evenly on the cornhusks with the back of a spoon.  I remember that it was not quite so easy for me in the beginning.  Many times I ended up with a glob or two on each tamal and an adult would fix the spread.  Some people use a butter knife to spread the masa but I was taught to use a spoon and that is how I still do it to this day. 
Here is my workstation at my grandma’s house just a few days before Christmas.



As I got older, I was able to add the filling and wrap each tamal, ready to be steam cooked.  Now at 37 years old, I still spread the masa and add the filling and that is about it.  Sorry to disappoint ya.  Heck, I am disappointed in me.  I am now an expert masa spreader and filler but I totally need to kick it up a few lots of notches.  Yes, I should know a lot more by now which I do in a way, but I am nowhere near making them on my own.
Enough about my lack of tamal making skills, here is my much beloved grandma, aka Güela, hard at work, her much cherished, and beautiful tamales.








My grandmother has had that pressure cooker for years, as far back as I can remember!

And lookee here.  My favorite daughter was initiated into the family tradition and without evening knowing it, she learned something about her heritage.  She “made” four of these babies on her own.  I was so proud that I showed off her pictures to family and friends.  I just had to and it was great to see the look of approval, pride and happiness on the the other grandparents, great-grandparents, tíos and tías too.


{Confession: An FYI for ya, ‘tamal’ is singular and ‘tamales’ is plural.  It drives me absolute bonkers when I hear someone say ‘tamale’ instead of ‘tamal.’  A big pet peeve of mine.  Of course I don’t correct people because it comes off as rude, but it still drives me crazy.} 
Oh and here is a pic of some tamales that I was about to enjoy with my favorite coffee ever.  The same coffee I enjoy with my blueberry muffins.  We still have tamales in our fridge and I am getting a little sad as I see them dwindling down.

Every year I pay a little more attention and take more mental notes; but really, I am just enjoying being there with my grandma and fam.  Moreover, as special as that family time is, I need to put a firework under my toosh (that saying is a lot funnier in Spanish) and really learn how to make tamales: grandma style.  Maybe this summer I will ask her to show me the ropes from grocery-shopping-start to eating-homemade-tamales-finish.  J

P.S. Most of these pictures were taken by my 8 year old son with my iPhone.  Not bad, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

Glass Vase Snowman Decor {Craft DIY}

Hello peeps!  Who is still stuffed from all of the Thanksgiving deliciousness?  Or broke from those fab after-Thanksgiving sales?  I don't do the whole crazy shopping thing but I am stuffed and happy.  I got to watch lots of t.v. and in my jammies.  Woot!  

On to my latest project, except I made this last year so I'm kinda lying.  I never got to share this with you guys because of lots of computer problems.  Anywho, I made a snowman using two floral vases.



I was inspired to make this snowman after I saw another blogger make with decor with round floral vases.  She used different glitter for each vase and then topped each one with a witch hat.  It was classy and cute.  And darn.  I wish I could remember that blogger and her site. 
Well here is how I got down to business when making this snowman.

Supplies:
2 - round floral vases 1 - sponge brush Mod Podge 1 - small jar of white glitter 2 - sheets black felt w/glitter scissors craft or felt glue 2 - lids from food canisters (like oatmeal) …

Organizing da Hair Accessories

Before my daughter was born it was just the hubby, our boy and me.  I only had me to worry about when it came to all things hair.  Then baby girl came along and little by little the hair accessories, combs, brushes and everything else started to pile up and take over my middle bathroom drawer.  Up until a couple of weeks ago my hair accessory drawer looked like this:


It was so bad and I couldn't stand it any longer.  Actually it had been quite some time that I could not stand but I finally got around to organizing it.  While still on holiday vacation in early January, the kids and I took a field trip to The Container Store.  One of my new favorite stores.  Love!

After browsing, browsing, browsing and more browsing I finally got down to business.  Mainly because the kids were getting restless otherwise I could have spent the whole day there and compiled a huge wish list.  I came home with some Linus drawer organizers and after a major make-over our hair accessories bathroom drawer lo…

Organized Linen Closet... Finally!

Hi peeps.  Are y’all done decorating for fall yet?  No? Oh wait that's just me.  My decor is going up little by little as the hubs grudgingly brings more Fall/Halloween totes down from the attic.  heehee.
I do however want to show off (‘cause that’s what happens in blog land) my now neat and tidy linencloset thanks to this pin on my Organization board from Better Homes & Gardens that helped me get'er done.  Ta-da!



It is a small closet in my short and narrow hallway so taking full length photos of the before and after was a challenge.  But believe me you this thing was way too crowded and stuffing clean towels into each shelf was just plain dumb.  There was too much going on in there especially with the ball caps and candles taking up valuable space on one shelf.  So just like my utensil drawerlarge utensil drawer, and junk drawer I got to work.  As I told you in my last post, I got the caps out of there and hung up in the coat closet. 
I then emptied out the entire closet a…