Skip to main content

My Life Saver





Spring is officially here but what irritates the heck out of lots of folks is seasonal allergies.  Ugh, are they public enemy #1 or what?  Talk about your daily life and planned activities ruined because of the constant sneezing, stuffy nose, coughing, itchy and watery eyes and major pain in-the-you-know-what headache.

This was my life for quite some time until November 2008 when I finally caved in and decided to give the neti pot a try.  I was miserable and desperate and just couldn't take it anymore.  It was the day before Thanksgiving when I was very sick with allergies and there I was on the couch trying to nurse my 10 month old daughter.  I kept interrupting her feeding because I couldn't breathe, I had to clear my nose, cough, tilt my head back, cry, whine, beg for mercy, etc.  Of course we were both miserable and crying.  I  because of the allergies and her because of me pulling her away every couple of minutes.  I had had enough and my husband and I packed up the kids and went to the store to buy the neti pot.

My husband's aunt told me about the net pot months before but I wouldn't dare give it a try.  Are you kidding me?  Pouring water down, up and down again through my nostrils and have it all come out on the other side?  What?!  No way was I going to attempt that and "drown" my brain.  Yes, that sounds stupid silly but I really imagined all that water going into my brain and drowning me.  I know, I know.  I never wanted to give the neti pot a fair chance because of the fear and gross factor.  I already told ya about the fear but the thought of "stuff" coming out and into the sink?  Eeeewww!

So on that night after being so miserable and being extremely uncomfortable I bit the bullet and bought that stinkin' neti pot.  OH MY GOODNESS ALLELUIA, WHY WAS I SUCH A STUBBORN WOMAN?!  That was the best feeling to have all that misery flush out of my face.  I couldn't believe how much better I felt after just one use and I was able to get a decent nights sleep.  Wow.  It worked, it really worked and it involved zero meds.  Even better!  Oh I was embarrassed for being such a hard head before and being dead set on having meds take care of the problem.  Now, I know there are folks out there that truly needs meds on a daily or weekly basis for various allergy issues but this little thing did it for me and I am grateful.

I now use my trusty 'ol neti pot once a week or more if stuff is really blowing around in the air. I am for the most part allergy free and no longer call in sick or call in to say I am going to be a couple of hours late because I woke up stuffy, headachy, coughing my brains out and sleep deprived.  Trust me, this little thing works and I promise when I say your head will not fill up with water.  :)
Just follow the directions and after a few tries you'll have a down.  Oh and if your tap water is iffy then please use  boiled water that has cooled down to a luke warm temperature.  Remember, this is going in your nasal passages so you don't want it to burn.  It will also burn if the water is too cool.  I speak from experience!

I used the saline packets that came with the neti pot but I now use the sinus wash salt sold in a jar by Walgreens.  I bought it on sale with a store coupon.  Of course! :)


Anyone else loyal to the neti pot?  You can read more about the neti pot I bought here.


Popular posts from this blog

Glass Vase Snowman Decor {Craft DIY}

Hello peeps!  Who is still stuffed from all of the Thanksgiving deliciousness?  Or broke from those fab after-Thanksgiving sales?  I don't do the whole crazy shopping thing but I am stuffed and happy.  I got to watch lots of t.v. and in my jammies.  Woot!  

On to my latest project, except I made this last year so I'm kinda lying.  I never got to share this with you guys because of lots of computer problems.  Anywho, I made a snowman using two floral vases.



I was inspired to make this snowman after I saw another blogger make with decor with round floral vases.  She used different glitter for each vase and then topped each one with a witch hat.  It was classy and cute.  And darn.  I wish I could remember that blogger and her site. 
Well here is how I got down to business when making this snowman.

Supplies:
2 - round floral vases 1 - sponge brush Mod Podge 1 - small jar of white glitter 2 - sheets black felt w/glitter scissors craft or felt glue 2 - lids from food canisters (like oatmeal) …

Easter Egg and Vase Decor {Craft DIY}

Happy Good Friday lovely people.  Easter is my favorite holiday and sadly I haven't decorated much for this Holy celebration.  I have been so busy (I'm always saying that!) and I won't dare go up in the attic to get my decorations.  The attic freaks me out so I always send the hubby to get my things; although he too is a very busy man this tax season.  Anywho, I started this craft project a few weeks ago and just finished it this morning.  Seriously.



Organizing da Hair Accessories

Before my daughter was born it was just the hubby, our boy and me.  I only had me to worry about when it came to all things hair.  Then baby girl came along and little by little the hair accessories, combs, brushes and everything else started to pile up and take over my middle bathroom drawer.  Up until a couple of weeks ago my hair accessory drawer looked like this:


It was so bad and I couldn't stand it any longer.  Actually it had been quite some time that I could not stand but I finally got around to organizing it.  While still on holiday vacation in early January, the kids and I took a field trip to The Container Store.  One of my new favorite stores.  Love!

After browsing, browsing, browsing and more browsing I finally got down to business.  Mainly because the kids were getting restless otherwise I could have spent the whole day there and compiled a huge wish list.  I came home with some Linus drawer organizers and after a major make-over our hair accessories bathroom drawer lo…