Pages

Junk Drawer Organization


Happy Tuesday!  I don’t know about the rest of you but my body is glad that the Olympics are over.  Catching up on some much needed sleep is in order!  I am an Olympic geek and hard core fan.  I watched it all from the opening ceremony to the closing ceremony and everything in between.  I have such respect for all the athletes and how they push their bodies to do what it is capable of doing.  They are amazeballs and they most certainly inspire me.  Not to be an Olympian.  Gawd no.  Y’all don’t wanna see that.  They just inspire me in way that says it can be done and it is possible.

Anywho I wanted to share with you all my latest organizational feat.  My kitchen junk drawer!  We all have one and we all gripe about the crap in there when we are looking for something.  We’ve had our junk drawer since we moved in ten years ago or so and right from the beginning it was full of junk.  Over the years it go so full that it would occasionally jam while trying to open or close it.  Just like my other two kitchen drawers, I had enough and it was time to get to business. 

Here is what it looked like all this time:



And here is the after:


Mucho mas better, right?  I mean look at some of the things we had in here.



We even had one of those picture key chain things.  Talk about blast from the past.  It is from our (hubby and me) high school senior trip to Six Flags Arlington back in May 1993.  Woooooweeee.  Those were some fun times.  Anywho (yes I say that a lot) these are the drawer organizers I used for this narrow and small junk drawer of mine. 



We even had a the original swatch color of our dining room and our movie tickets to "Hitch" on our anniversary date.  Cute, cheese, corny and why did we keep that?  


So here's I got down to bidness.  I bought two (2) Rubbermaid no-slip interlocking trays in white, 3”x9” at Wal-Mart.  I can’t remember the cost but they were just a couple of bucks each and they were in the kitchen aisle.  I also bought a Made Smart clear drawer organizer from The Container Store.  It is 5”x4”x2” and it was a wee bit smaller than what I wanted but it worked out perfect. 




I used the space in between the two white trays and the clear tray to store a bag of rubber bands and bag of twist tie thingies.  I don’t know why we need so many of the twist ties but my hubby likes to have extra on hand for whatever use so there they are.  Oh and I also placed my son's measuring tape that he got at Home Depot.  I use it quite a bit so I found a home for it.  He doesn't mind.  :)



And as you can see I did get rid of a lot of stuff and either threw it away or put it in a more appropriate place (like the matches).  I also put the many pens and markers that we had in a cup on the counter in the trays.  Look at where I had the pens and scissors before they went into this drawer.  



Classy.  I know.  But alas I have my junk drawer organized (with a lot less junk) and I am proud of myself.  A little ashamed too.  Gahlee, what took me so long?



Wow, I finally have three drawers in my kitchen organized.  Here’s a little recap: my utensil drawer, my large utensil drawer and finally my junk drawer. 

Next is the pantry and I can’t wait to get ‘er done.  I think I’m a little too excited actually.  Oh and yes that Hello Kitty cup is gone and off the counter.  The hubby is relieved about that little detail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments tickle me pink! Thank you for stopping by and browsing around these parts. :)

Snack Station {Halloween}

Hello, happy Friday and happy kickoff to Halloween weekend!  I know, I know I’m rarely on here but I finally got a light under my butt to p...