Pages

My First AND Last Shellac Manicure

Anyone ever heard of Anjelah Johnson?  Anyone ever seen her stand-up comedic act based on her experience at a nail salon?  No?  Watch it here and get a great laugh out of it.  I surely did the first time I saw it .  Remember, it's all in good fun.  :)


The video is about four or five years old and I laughed my arse off the first time I saw it and I still do 'til this day.  Probably because she nails it.  Pun intended.  :)

Well on the morning of April 27th of this year I went to the nail salon to get a mani/pedi because I was once again going to be a bridesmaid.  My beautiful, smart, witty and funny life long friend was getting married and I was more than happy to be there for her.  (I heart you, Janice!)  Anywho, I went in and told the ladies what I wanted: a polish mani/pedi.  I always get polish and never ever get fake nails.  I don't even know the proper terminology for fake nails.  Acrylic, right?  To be honest without being crude or snotty, I just never cared for fake nails.  Me no like the look at all.

So imagine me politely declining a gel manicure as the technician gets to work.  On her third attempt, the girl sitting next to me chimes in and asks if I've ever had a gel manicure.  I said no and right away she busts out with, "Oh my gawd they are AWESOME!  I highly recommend you get one today especially if you are going to be in your friend's wedding."  All the while the nail tech is filing my nails away and is desperately hoping I will change my mind.  "Sure, okay I'll go ahead and try it."  Pressure I tell ya, pressure.  The real reason I did not want a gel manicure that day is because I just didn't want to pay extra for anything.  I had a busy day ahead of me and my goal was to be in and out.

An hour or so later my nails looked like this:


Six weeks later...


Why I liked the shellac manicure-

  • Dry to the touch upon leaving the salon
  • Pretty, glossy and durable
  • Chip free in everyday, normal activity
  • Looked great for about 3 weeks
Why I didn't like it enough to do it again-
  • The polish felt way too thick on my nails
  • Kinda looked like I had fake nails
  • Not crazy about having my hands under a UV light
  • I was very unsuccessful in removing it myself

After trying to get the shellac polish off myself and even peeling it off I was so frustrated.  I had not returned to the salon since the wedding because I just didn't have the time.  Really, I didn't.  I'm by myself a lot with the kiddos because the hubs works his tail off and spends lots of time at the library.  It wasn't until my hairdresser told me that I would have to return to the salon to get the polish off.  She told me that my nails would soak for an X amount of minutes and then they would slowly scrape it off.  What?!  Um, no thank you.  After hearing that I decided I would just continue to let me nails grow out and file them as they grew out.  And after reading this article from Shape magazine I realized that the salon I went to did not use CND Shellac polish.  I wish I would have read it before my shellac mani;  it explains the procedure for a true CND Shellac manicure.  Oh well live and learn.  I can see why so many gals like shellac manicures but I guess this is one area where I like it the old fashion way.

And since we're talking polish, this is one of my favorite shades this summer: Paparazzi Pleaser by L'Oreal.  I love it and wear on my toesies all the time.  Go get ya bottle or two.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the funny video clip and the info on fake nails, Debbie! I get so intimidated going into nail salons where they are speaking a language I don't understand to each other...of course, I think they are talking about how gross my toes are.

    ReplyDelete

Comments tickle me pink! Thank you for stopping by and browsing around these parts. :)

Snack Station {Halloween}

Hello, happy Friday and happy kickoff to Halloween weekend!  I know, I know I’m rarely on here but I finally got a light under my butt to p...