I'm not an expert at anything, in fact I'm a wannabe at everything: DIYer, crafter, cook, baker, fashionista & beauty guru extraordinaire. And so far I ain't bad BUT am still learning. Like I have lots of learning ahead of me. My blog is a little bit of this and that in my wannabe adventures; oh and random ramblings on family life, motherhood, and my kiddos. Y se habla español.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Special 'Handmade' Thanksgiving Wreath

Hello, hello.  It has been a while and I'm sawy.  I have been super busy lately and lots of holiday stuff is sneaking up on moi.  As I said before, everyday I'm shuffa-ling!

Okay, so Thanksgiving is a little over a week away and I finally finally made a very simple wreath for my door.  I wanted a wreath using the hand traced cut outs of my kids' hands.  After some world wide web searching for ideas I decided to use my kids hands as the feathers of a turkey.  So this is what I created:


As you can imagine, it was very simple to do except it took a little bit of time making the turkeys.  Other than that it was easy to put together.

I made the turkeys using:
  • soft foam sheets: red, orange, brown, beige
  • yellow, white and black card stock
  • adhesive pop-ups
  • glue and hot glue gun
Step 1:
I traced the hands of my boy and girl on each sheet.


Oh yes that is a Dallas Cowboys pencil I am using.  Loyal fan for-eva!

Step 2:
After tracing their hands, I cut them each out and used one set for each turkey (a totoal of four hands for each turkey). 

Step 3:
I placed each hand cut out on top of one another until it formed the feather formation I liked.  I glued each one together with my hot glue gun.  For the bodies of the turkeys, I used a small bowl and a cup to trace and cut out from the brown foam sheet. Again, I glued the bodies to the feathers with my hot glue gun.


Step 4:
I made the eyes the same way I did my halloween treat bags.  I used the the white card stock and black pop-ups on the bigger turkey; and the black card stock and white pop-ups on the smaller one.
As for the nose, I just snipped a corner off of some yellow card stock and voila I had me some noses.


Step 5:
After my turkey assembly, I grabbed my wreath and glued on some dried natural grass to create a nest.  Glued my birds on top of that and then decorated it with fall floral picks.  I added some ribbon to hang it up and I was done.  Although I need to learn how to properly make a bow. No, I don't know how to make one.  Gasp!




My first Thanksgiving wreath and it has a special 'hand' made touch.  I love it.  Next year I'll add a couple of improvements but for now I am content and so happy that I was able to incorporate my babies hands.  Happy Mama.  :)

I'm linking up with these fab bloggers: